Friday, May 7, 2010

5 Finals Away from a Bachelor's Degree!

All day yesterday I was in disbelief that it was my last day of classes that I will ever take at Stonehill. It was an exciting moment, but also unbelievable and bittersweet! Yet, it was not just yesterday, but all week that had me thinking about some of my "lasts" at Stonehill. I ate at the Hill for the last time (because they are starting remodeling today! So sad I am going to miss out on the new space!), I had Pastabilities (probably my favorite meal in the Dining Commons) for the last time, and I went to my last Brother Mike's bar night. I almost didn't go to Brother Mike's last night because I was gone all afternoon and have so much work to do for finals. But it was my last chance to go, all my friends were there, and I want to remember to enjoy the last few days in addition to getting my finals completed!

Yesterday was a busy day, not just because it has been my busiest day of classes this semester, but because for my last class, which was my senior Capstone Seminar for my English major, my class met my Professor at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston and then went over my Professor's house for dinner - homemade salad and chocolate cake along with pizza. It was very generous and kind of our Professor to open her home to us. I felt I got very close with my seminar class this semester, and so our final class was an apt conclusion to our work together. It was also fun meeting her 2 and a half year old son! While we ate, we also discussed our final paper topics. But not only did my Professor want to hear from us about our final papers, she was also interested in hearing from the 11 of us about our plans for next year. As I sat in Professor Gracombe's Brookline living room listening to my classmates share their future plans, I had a strange sense that I was no longer an undergraduate. At that moment, at the end of my last day of classes, I truly felt the transition I will be making this summer from student to teacher. It was a satisfying moment and a lovely way to spend my last Stonehill class.

Here is a picture of my seminar class with Professor Gracombe:



This whole week of lasts was preceded by a first. The week began Saturday night with a Class of 2010 boat cruise on the Boston harbor on the Spirit of Boston. The event marked our "25 Days" to graduation. It was beautiful weather, and we all had a great time celebrating our next step closer to graduation. Here are a couple pictures from 25 Days:


Carrie and I before our trip to the city!

The beautiful Boston skyline, unfortunately it's a little blurry, but this was the best I could do from a moving boat!.

Kait and I on the Spirit of Boston!

Over the course of the next week, I have 3 final papers and 2 final exams, plus an interview in my hometown for a first grade teaching position. It will be a busy week, but once the week is over, I will be spending the next week on the Cape with the Class of 2010 complete with a Senior Formal, beach, and bar nights, before we come back to campus for Baccalaureate, the Senior/Parent Dinner Dance, and commencement! I am looking forward to enjoying my last week as a Stonehill student. I'll be sure to update one more time after commencement to share the highlights of our senior week!

1 comment:

KR said...

what a frame-worthy pic =)