Thursday, April 8, 2010

New Experiences and Big Changes

Hello there! Apologies to my readers that it has been awhile, but life as a senior in the spring is quite a busy time!

As this is the last chance for me to enjoy Stonehill and enjoy time with my college friends, I have been trying to do just that! Whether my friends and I are going off campus for Indian food, grabbing a meal together, or hanging out at Brother Mike's and playing Stump Trivia, we are trying to stay in touch and keep each other caught up with all of the exciting things happening in our lives! We still have about 5 weeks left to continue to enjoy Stonehill and some really big events to look forward to, but many things we have already done for the last time. One of the most exciting things that I've done for the last time was enjoy my last spring break. This may have been my last spring break, but it was actually the first spring break that during which I traveled! I went with my boyfriend to southern California for the week to visit Brandon's sister, Megan. We had a great week, and saw so many things! We explored Pasadena (Brandon's sister is working on her Ph.D. in cell biology at CalTech and lives in Pasadena), saw the sights in LA, traveled down to San Diego, and also up to Santa Barbara. For my first time in Cali and seeing the Pacific Ocean, I sure saw a LOT of SoCal! Here are some highlights of the week in pictures:

Brandon and I in the gardens at the Getty Center near Beverly Hills.

Meg and I at the Getty Center with a great view of LA!

It's official, we're in LA!

Old Town in San Diego. Where we got yummy Mexican food for lunch!

San Diego Zoo's famous pandas!

Brandon and I at the San Diego Zoo!

Santa Monica beach and pier!

Hermosa Beach + the Pacific Ocean!

Walking along the beach in Santa Barbara.

Watching the sun set in Malibu.

The Lily-Pad Pond in the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena.

The Japanese Garden in the Huntington Gardens.

Life as a college student is really a balancing act, and it's a skill I am still perfecting! Not only am I trying to enjoy college, but I am also keeping up with schoolwork, staying involved in all my varied co-curricular programs, and oh yeah, I'm also working on planning for life after graduation as I search and apply for teaching jobs! I have been having flash-backs to my senior year of high school and the process of applying for colleges and the college decision process. I had some tough times along the way, as I am sure we all do, with the college selection process. It is intimidating to have such a big change in my life, especially when I feel so happy and comfortable here. I am anxious to get further along in the job search process, have a job solidified, and then of course to get my classroom set-up and get settled into my new school! It is a challenging experience to hear all the exciting plans that my friends already have for next year. Just today one of my friend Kari got accepted to Northeastern for a grad program in speech pathology, and yesterday another friend accepted a position in a Reconstructive Surgery ward at Faulkner Hospital in Jamaica Plains. Two other friends of mine have also been accepted to year of service programs, one in Texas and one in Baltimore. But for me it is challenging because it is still a little early in the year for many teaching jobs to be posted. But I have had one interview (last week over Easter break) and I am keeping my eyes open and applying as more positions are posted. I am so excited at the thought of the next stage of my life and having my own classroom. But at the same time I am intimidated and feel that I will miss my life and friends at Stonehill.

But I don't want to get too ahead of myself! I still have more than a month of doing the college balancing act before I settled into the next great chapter!

No comments: